Sunday, December 13, 2015

Fit and Flare - Boston, MA

What not to wear to an interview--see below. Image credit: www.fashiontranslated.com

Last Friday, my cohort at ReacHIRE visited with a personal shopper at a large department store in downtown Boston. I admit it is my favorite department store so please bear that in mind in terms of any bias. I am not, however, a shopper. I am a firm believer in LL Bean, hand-me-down sweaters and the consignment shop. Yes, for me as well as the kids. So, that's what Alexa (name changed for privacy) the personal shopper had to work with.

We squished ten of us into a tiny office behind the HeeBGB (wait that can't be right) Max Mara section and from there Alexa pulled out various pieces to show us what works and what doesn't work in terms of interview clothes vs daily clothes in business casual or business formal environments. She had been informed that we were currently jobless so clearly she could imagine our clothing budgets (I texted my husband during the presentation about what my budget was for the day. He didn't answer. I assumed that meant "use your own judgement"). 

Answering questions: Alexa


Now some of the rules of the fashion game were perfectly known to me. Bare legs are a "no" for an interview. Folks, I cannot understand the women here in Boston who go bare-legged in 45 degrees. It's true! I've seen it! Brrrrrrrrrr! I am as likely to be wearing long grundies under my Calvins (something DOES come between me and my Calvins, if any of you are old enough to get the allusion).

As if we needed this review, Alexa let us know that suntan-hued stockings are a faux pas. Haven't they been out since say, 1984? I have never ever ever had a tan that dark on any part of my body. My "suntan" hue would be pink-to-lobster.  Anyway, bare legs no. Suntan, no. Check, check.

I think Amanda was intimidated by us for the first hour. She was pretty serious. I was cracking bad jokes about tucking stuff in (shirts, people, what did you think I was talking about?) and she was not cracking a smile. But then I asked about shoes that show the tops of your toes...and she immediately said "toe cleavage and stockings? Why don't you just stab me?" She was in the swing of things after that. 

We then reviewed that there are comfortable shoes and then there are shoes made by men. Yes, Mr. Laboutin, I am talking about you. My toes hurt just thinking about you. Anne Klein, you're the woman for me. Wait, Enzo Angiolini used to...what happened to him? Killed by a stiletto?

I must have tuned out for a second because the next thing I heard was "you don't want your peplum longer than your jacket." What is a peplum? Have I even spelled that right? Oh it's greek for tunic. I missed the tunic discussion sorry. But no tucking in the handkerchief point from your swingy new top. No. It's a whole new world out there for me, folks. 

So rose quartz is the pantone color of the year so expect a lot of blush and bashful theming (does anyone get the Steel Magnolias reference? No?) Okay, I hate rose quartz so it won't be on me. Also fit and flare dresses are in. Fit through the waist and then flaring. I love this term. Fit and Flare. Must try to use as much as possible. I think it used to be "A-line" but that is so boring.

We then saw a lot of really nice stuff. St. Johns seems to be the middle-aged corporate lady uniform, but I haven't got $395 to spend on a trouser. One jacket ($1650) Alexa termed as an "investment piece." I dunno, I think I would rather invest in say, Facebook stock. Or Slack. Whatever. 

One of our crew asked about scarves and best ways to tie them. And Alexa did a great job of demonstrating some perfect swooshes and whatever. She mentioned that "turning your head is probably required for your job, so don't do a huge bow on the side." Hadn't occurred to me, but I was starting to get her dry sense of humor. 

Demonstrating how to tie a scarf (model blurred for privacy!)

I also learned a new word which I will have a challenge to spell. Alexa matched a shiny pretty jacket with a red dress, saying that this would give you a bit more "jhujghzzz". No, "zhuzsh" I have no clue. But I plan to use the term frequently. Like fit and flare. 

After an hour and a half we were released out into the store for our own fun. There was a big promotion going on, and I have to admit I did take advantage of it. Not one, but two fit & flare dresses from my buddy at Ralph Lauren. Men can't make comfy shoes but they can fit & flare. 

And now we are dressed for success.Or most of us are: of course we had to have ONE problem child ;)

What Not to Wear





9 comments:

  1. What? "If your clothes are noticed in an interview, you've made a mistake". Are we off the Gold Standard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're absolutely right. Dark pantsuit or skirt and neutral color blouse, minimal jewelry for interviews. The fun stuff is all for when you get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to interview on four (or five?) different days for my current job, and I wasn't sure if I would see the same people again. It was impossible to have enough suitable clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I go to the Women's League of Weston's consignment shop. Buying new is out of my budget but there is nice stuff out there--but yeah, 5 interviews in one place is tough!

      Delete
  4. Fun!!!! :) Love your writing! Fit & flare is my fave too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! please get a job writing in your PJs :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria! futbol Mom knows you AND AGREES ;)

    ReplyDelete