Thursday, October 29, 2015

Hello, World! Learning software development - Boston, MA

Today my ReacHIRE cohort of 10 (fabulous) women went to Launch Academy in downtown Boston for a session of learning software coding and development. I admit that I was a bit worried about this session, since I have not been known to have the patience to be a software developer.  Or the vocabulary. Or occasionally, the body art.

I was late, which is a big faux pas in ReacHIRE land, because I figured out in Lexington (two towns away) that I had left my computer at home. Hard to code without a computer unless you know punch tickets and I don't. So I risked another type of ticket to zoom home, get the errant computer and get back to the Red Line. Which was running with delays. Of course. Welcome to Boston!

In any case, I walked in 20 minutes late, which left me a bit behind as our friendly software developer guy (SDG? I love acronyms...I had better since html, http, css and whatever else rapidly came up) went through the "basics." I spent that first 40 minutes just like Nemo and Dory listening to the Australian sea turtle in Finding Nemo...clip here. As in, you're really cute, but I have no idea what you're saying.



So here's the reality. If you're smart, regardless of how many years you've been off the corporate market, you can figure things out. By the end of class (extremely well-taught, and humorously too! Check out Launch Academy) I knew the difference between variables and methods and strings and a whole bunch of other stuff. It's fun! Who knew it would be fun? Yeah, when I had to practice on my own computer at the end of class I am pretty sure I accidentally hacked the PTO site, but who needs to know what's for lunch tomorrow anyway? It's pizza day...tudo acaba em pizza (from my Brazil in My Eyes blog.

Day 2 tomorrow. Watch your servers, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment